Friday, February 8, 2008

Labour Force Survey

Here at what I sometimes think should be called the Statistics Canada Review, we take a break from writing our honour's essay to comment on the LFS release.

Now, you can read all about the fact that it was strong on your preferred newswire. Those who have assiduously followed this blog for some time will be aware of the drum I was banging with respect to labour issues: all the employment is public-sector, by definition unsustainable.

Well, today reversed that. A decrease in public sector employment of 3,800, and an increase in private sector by 76,600. I would regard this as a positive thing. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues, but it's such a strong move in one month that I take a degree of satisfaction in it by itself.

NOTE: Worthwhile Canadian Initiative quotes me liberally on Mark Carney. Worth your time. Will 'Carney put' become as famous as 'Greenspan put'?

No comments: