Thursday, October 4, 2007

Academic Economists

A quick snippet, taken from a comment to this post in Greg Mankiw's realm:
Just a testimony-

On Christmas day of 2006 (yes, Dec 25th!) - a cold boston winter day -I saw Prof Daron Acemoglu wrapped in scarf, holding a briefcase, entered the MIT economics department.

I assume that people who work on Christmas day must be very, very productive...

As much as I want to be an academic economist, this is not who I want to be. (Adcoms, please don't read this!)

Acemoglu has written a ton of great stuff, at an unbelievable pace, and I would be seriously surprised if he doesn't end up with a Nobel. But - right now anyway - I don't want economics to have my whole life.

...Though I probably would work Christmas, just because it'd be easy to get around, and I wouldn't have anything else to do - my family hasn't exchanged gifts in years.

No comments: