Sunday, September 23, 2007

Superstardom

Once again, I am reminded that my comparative advantage is not as a research economist. (Though I have more 'A+' grades than him.)

See, as much as the idea of being a "famous economist" appeals, I always wonder if that's what I want to be. Or strive to become. There is something innately appealing about lounging in an office with a playstation and a stack of anime, not being expected to crank out papers like lightning, being able to converse with students, being able to teach, not working sixty hours a week.

Now, I fully realize that reputable graduate programs try to weed out those that don't want the high-powered research lifestyle. But I want to get into the best program possible, if only so I can be exposed to that elite level of academia and make an informed decision as to whether I want to push for as far as I can go, or call it an innings in midafternoon and do something else.

No comments: