Sunday, August 19, 2007

Discover Your Inner Economist

There is very little of Tyler Cowen's Inner Economist in me.

I just returned from Chapters, where I read, in one sitting, without the short cappucino advocated by Tim Harford, Mr. Cowen's (I shouldn't call him Dr., according to this book) lastest literary offering.

It's okay. Too much pyschology, too little economics for my tastes, but what else would one expect from GMU? Basically, it's a self-help guide for people who aren't me.

A couple of the assumptions that I couldn't relate with were that time spent with others was more conducive to happiness, that one has a desire to give to charity,

I also missed the memo on when MR became the world's foremost economics blog.

I didn't get much out of it, frankly. A couple of interesting points. The advice on ethnic dining would have been better if St. John's wasn't pretty much a washout for that. Ottawa is little better, to my chagrin - outside of two places in Chinatown. But having been to Vancouver dulls that experience.

The only other thing I can recall is the discussion on signaling, which is something I've discoursed upon at length, though verbally, and not in terms of the blog. It's something that I don't like, but Cowen makes an okay argument that it is necessary. I don't buy it, but the whole subject is more philosophical than anything that can be argued logically.

Anyway, worth reading, not exceptional.

No comments: